Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS683315
This is a nine (9) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 2, 2021 with possible extension and/or permanency
West Northam Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs under general supervision and guidance, you will perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. You will apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices you have acquired. You will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of planned education programs that will help in the development of young minds and support the general health and wellbeing of students. The successful applicant will ideally possess a calm, positive and professional manner and have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across a range of settings from Kindergarten to Year 6 with a range of students.
Our highly skilled early childhood and senior team leaders work closely with staff to ensure our teachers use effective techniques that ensure the very best in learning for your child. Staff are committed to teaching students with kindness and compassion and employ the highly successful Positive Behaviour Support program, to establish behaviour expectations for responsibility, respect and self-control. This program focuses on moving from 'Managing Student Behaviour' to 'Student Engagement', by building a sense of belonging and promoting a school culture in which students take responsibility for their actions.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about West Northam Primary School can be found by visiting westnortham.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Cheryl Prater, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Northam, by telephoning (08) 9621 5600 or emailing Cheryl.Prater@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 14 May 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.