Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS681997
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2021
Seaforth Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a hardworking and motivated Gardener-Handyperson to join our friendly and supportive team.
The successful applicant will work to provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. In this role, you will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The successful applicant will ideally possess good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work unsupervised but also as part of a team. You will also ideally have an excellent working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation. The successful applicant will have a passion for gardening and understand the needs of an active school community. We are looking for a team player to work collaboratively with all staff as part of a whole school community.
Seaforth PS is a relatively small school situated in the suburb of Gosnells. Student numbers hover around 300 which makes for a more personalised approach. The school is unusually placed as the front of the school is well and truly embedded in suburbia but the back is surrounded by paddocks with dairy cows occasionally wandering past.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Seaforth PS please visit seaforthps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or download the relevant attachment below.
For further job related information:
Please contact Vikki Wilkinson, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9234 7850 or emailing Vikki.Wilkinson@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please address selection criteria 2 and 4 by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 14 May 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.