Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS681771
Meadow Springs Education Support Centre (ESC) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
Meadow Springs ESC is an integrated specialist school that shares a site with Meadow Springs Primary School. Both schools were opened in 2012 and have been established with a positive approach to an inclusive learning community. The ESC caters for students from Years K-6 who have an Intellectual Disability and/or Autism. The centre has eight classrooms that are integrated throughout the school. Our school purpose is to create a positive learning environment that promotes success for all students and gives every student the opportunity to reach their full potential.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you will ideally possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form and maintain positive relationships with students, families and colleagues. You will have a friendly ‘can do’ attitude and the ability to anticipate and adapt to change; show initiative, flexibility and creative problem solving to produce the optimum learning environment for students. You will have a high level of organisational skills and the ability to work well under pressure with the ability to work on your own or as part of a team.
Suitable applicants will ideally have the knowledge and experience to work with students in one or more of these areas:
- With a diagnosis of Autism and / or Intellectual disabilities
- With complex communication needs using AAC supports
- With high behavioural needs
- With students with anxiety and sensory concerns.
The working environment for staff is characterised by whole school approaches to Literacy, Numeracy and Health. The school has a high expectation of Education Assistants to work collaboratively and flexibly in order to meet the needs of our students. There is a strong commitment by staff to professional learning, working as part of a team and accepting leadership roles and responsibilities beyond their classroom.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Meadow Springs Education Support Centre can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Gwen Evans, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9584 7450 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 14 May 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.