Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS674436
Beachlands Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2022.
AIEOs are an integral part of our school’s endeavour to increase attendance and improve the educational outcomes of our Indigenous students. You will provide pastoral care, guidance and encouragement to students to become involved in their education.
Suitable applicants will be reliable and flexible, whilst providing support and effective assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, their parents/guardians, teachers, the school and the community through the knowledge, understanding and sharing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, language and culture. Part of the role will be to act as a liaison between the community and the school in order to develop an education program that is relevant to both educational and cultural needs. AIEOs assist and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring and pastoral care to ensure their participation and achievement in the school environment
Beachlands PS, the smallest of the government schools within the City of Geraldton, provides a positive and welcoming environment to its students. We have 120 students in year 1-6 and approximately 40 Kindergarten and Pre-Primary Students in our purpose built center. Our school also offers a new program for 3 year old children through the KindiLink program which is aimed at 3 year old students and their parents.
Beachlands PS was opened in October, 1956. The school caters for approximately 150 students from Kindergarten to year 6. The school community is multicultural represented by approximately 60% Aboriginal as well a mix of other nationalities. The school has a reputation for offering an inclusive education.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Beachlands Primary School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Nicholl Kelly, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Geraldton, by telephoning (08) 9921 1793 or emailing Nicholl.Kelly@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate III in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 13 May 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.