Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS678561
Armadale Education Support Centre (ESC) are seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2022.
Education Assistant - Special Needs are responsible for assisting teachers with preparing resources and programs that meet the learning needs of students with disabilities and to encourage these students to reach their individual goals. They also should be able to provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of student’s individual goals. As part of their role they are also required to have an ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Suitable applicants will work with limited supervision or autonomously and will meet the requirements of a Level 3 Education Assistant. Applicants will ideally have skills in working with students using: Positive Behaviour Support strategies, Applied Behaviour Analysis, and Award Scheme Development and Accreditation Network (ASDAN), and Music Therapy. Applicants will be supporting students in the workplace, in the community on leisure and recreation programs and in the classroom. A demonstrated skill in the use of information technology (IT) is highly desirable.
As an Education Assistant at Armadale ESC you will implement and evaluate programs for secondary students, with an intellectual disability, Autism Spectrum Disorder, sensory impairments, physical disabilities or severe mental health disorders in Years 7 through to 12. Armadale ESC uses person centred planning approaches to develop the students Individualised Education Plans. Education Assistant’s will possess a willingness to support the development and implementation of student plans. These plans include curriculum differentiation, social competency, health care, self-management and, mental health.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Armadale Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.armadaleesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Karen Sansom, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9497 6435 or emailing Karen.Sansom@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager or teacher)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 27 April 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.