Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS678078
This is a thirty-six (36) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2021 with possible extension and/or permanency
Are you interested in an exciting opportunity?
Hedland Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a hardworking and motivated Student Support Officer to join our friendly and supportive team.
The successful applicant will have strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to develop relationships across the school and wider community. You will assist with administrative processes, research, develop and introduce systems, intervention strategies and alternative programs that provide a responsive and effective support service for students, family members and staff.
You will establish and maintain professional links between the student, the family, the school and other appropriate agencies in the community, and will also support the School Administration team in crisis management by providing relevant and appropriate strategies and support, as required.
As the Student Support Officer, you will assist with the implementation of a range of school attendance strategies; attend and provide supporting information to team meetings, case conferences, and other intervention processes; maintain information and record systems and collate and prepare information used in case conferences and to develop strategies and student support programs.
Hedland Senior High School, located in South Hedland in the Pilbara, is an Independent Public School catering for students from Years 7 to 12. Hedland SHS prides itself on the staff’s commitment to a system of positive behaviour supports which focus on care, courtesy, respect and responsibility; these values underpin our philosophy at Hedland Senior High School. All staff strive to maintain a school culture which encourages a high standard of behaviour & performance. We take an approach that is inclusive, explicit and supports all students and staff to achieve success.
The school has worked hard to build a positive reputation for the excellent educational opportunities it offers students, the emphasis on structures and mechanisms to support staff development and professional growth and for its high standards of achievement. Staff and students are encouraged to achieve personal excellence in all aspects of their daily activities and to interact with each other and with the wider community in a positive, constructive and socially responsible manner.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to provide a professional, confidential service to a range of clients.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience in the use of computerised management information systems including database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Effective organisational skills and experience in providing administrative support with the ability to manage conflicting timelines.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Hedland Senior High School can be found by visiting www.hedlandshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Mathew Boreland, Deputy Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Hedland, by telephoning (08) 9881 9300 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 27 April 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.