Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS679042
This is a six (6) month fixed term, part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2021.
Bindoon Primary School (PS) is seeking a hardworking and enthusiastic Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their school.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs, including assisting the teacher in the delivery of specific Individual Documented Plans. This position will require the successful applicant to work with children who have strong behavioural issues therefore experience in working with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, mental health and behavioural issues would be highly desirable.
The successful applicant should display a commitment to building positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the wider community. The successful applicant will need to have a willingness to provide assistance to teachers of students with a variety of disabilities and/or learning needs.
Established in 1954, Bindoon PS caters for approximately 200 students in a fast-growing rural community 80km north of Perth. Students are drawn from within the Shire of Chittering, where many children catch a bus to school.
Bindoon PS is a proud community focused school which provides a high quality, well-rounded education where every child’s learning needs are met through high quality, research based teaching approaches. Staff are caring and strongly committed to providing an inclusive environment where all children have the opportunity to thrive.
We are a Positive Behaviour Support school focussing on being respectful, positive, empathetic and our best.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Bindoon Primary School can be found by visiting www.bindoonprimaryschool.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Linda Toms, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9576 4500 or emailing email@example.com.
During the school holiday period, please contact Linda Toms on 0427 842 571.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to Commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 30 April 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.