Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS678480
The School of Special Educational Needs: Sensory (SSEN: Sensory) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and hardworking Braille Transcribers for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2022.
As a Braille Transcriber, you will undertake the preparation of textbooks, test papers and examination papers for all subject areas using the Unified English Braille Code, including tactile representations of maps and diagrams, according to the workflow deadlines.
This is an opportunity for people with, or looking to learn braille transcribing skills to contribute to the education of young children and students with vision impairment. Applicants with the experience to produce braille using a Perkins brailler and braille production software are highly desirable. We are seeking applicants with good computer, oral and written communication skills and the ability to work within a team environment. Suitable applicants are required to complete a recognised Braille course if not already obtained.
SSEN: Sensory provides educational support for children who are Deaf or hard of hearing, or who have a vision impairment. The services to support the children and their families are available following the child’s diagnosis, which means that the support is available from birth to school year 12/13. Schools that enrol students are supported by SSEN: Sensory to provide fully accessible learning environments, curriculum, and school communities.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Strong skills and ability to produce braille using a manual Brailler.
- Good skills and experience in using braille production software applications and machines.
- Good computer skills, including a working knowledge of databases, word processing and e-mail communications.
- Good oral, written and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work within a team environment and develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Good organisational and time management skills with the ability to use initiative, work independently, prioritise workflow and complete tasks in agreed timelines to meet conflicting timelines.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about SSEN: Sensory can be found by visiting ssens.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Shirley Henderson, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9402 6113 or emailing Shirley.Henderson@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 7 May 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.