Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS676887
This is a nine (9) month fixed term, part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2021 with possible extension and/or permanency
Are you a passionate and enthusiastic Education Assistant – Special Needs?
Moorditj Noongar Community College (CC) is seeking an experienced, dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistant - Special Needs to join our friendly team.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will assist the teacher with the implementation and delivery of specialised educational programs. You will also assist with implementing individual student or small group programs. You may also be required to provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education. The successful applicant should demonstrate initiative and the ability to take small groups of children for explicit instruction to scaffold or extend their learning.
The successful applicant will commence working with a newly enrolled student who is undergoing the diagnosis process. You will provide support in the classroom socially and academically. You will be able to work collaboratively and ideally have experience working with Aboriginal students and students diagnosed with autism.
The College is a systemic school set in the quiet surrounds of Black Adder Creek. There are 130 students enrolled at Moorditj Noongar Community College between 3 year old Kindergarten and Year 6. The classes are small compared to other schools and this enables students to receive significantly more teacher-pupil time together. The students live in the Midland area and immediate surrounding suburbs. Attendance rates are high because the children have access to transportation to and from school. Although there is a significant amount of movement to and from other schools many students return to Moorditj because they miss their friends and extended family members within the Indigenous context.
Moorditj Noongar CC is a very unique school which leaves staff with a sense of pride and achievement.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Moorditj Noongar Community College can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Stefanie Kirk-Burnnand, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9374 8800 or 0433 388 697 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Thursday, 15 April 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.