Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS676869
Yanchep Secondary College (SC) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
An Education Assistant – Special Needs will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of individual education programs and support students in their classes. Suitable applicants will assist teachers in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual students or small group programs or demonstrations. As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will provide feedback on education programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Suitable applicants may work under limited supervision and will be expected to operate within a team situation, offering advice and expertise relating to their relevant area. Education outcomes are determined by the teacher, or other professional, with the employee performing tasks which require discretion in problem solving, decision making, and choosing methods and processes to achieve outcomes. Performance of these tasks may require activities within or outside the College that result in supervision of students without the presence of a teacher.
Suitable applicants will have effective communication skills, combined with the ability to develop strong working relationships with all members of a school community. Suitable applicants will have a strong knowledge and understanding of working with students with special needs and working effectively one on one with students, as well as working with students in a range of educational settings. It is desirable for suitable applicants to be able to use initiative to complete tasks as well as follow instructions as necessary.
Yanchep SC opened in January 2018 and is experiencing continued growing of its student population from within its local community. The new school facilities are excellent, offering a pleasant and vibrant environment within which to work.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Yanchep Secondary College can be found by visiting www.yanchepsc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Julie Clarke, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9562 8000 or emailing Julie.Clarke@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period please contact Carolyn Butler, Manager Corporate Services on 0404 962 787.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 21 April 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.