Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS677895
Do you want to make a positive difference?
Geographe Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistant for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2022.
Education Assistant - Special Needs are responsible for assisting teachers with preparing resources and programs that meet the learning needs of students with disabilities and to encourage these students to reach their individual goals. They also should be able to provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of student’s individual goals.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under general supervision and guidance, perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. You should be able to apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, job learning or relevant qualification.
Geographe PS sees itself as a school of the future, because that is our role and focus: preparing our students for the future. Everything we do has this in mind. Our Vision is 'Together Toward Future Horizons', and currently our mantra is 'Every Child, Every Day - ensuring all children's brains are working, and all children are challenged.'
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Geographe Primary School can be found by visiting www.geographeps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Annette Murdoch, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Geographe, by telephoning (08) 9751 7800 or emailing Annette.Murdoch@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period you can contact Annette on 0407 192 064.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A six (6) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 30 April 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.