Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS675026
Ellen Stirling Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
At Ellen Stirling PS, it is of high importance that our staff work collaboratively and have the requisite flexibility to meet the changing needs of our students. All teaching support staff at Ellen Stirling PS are expected to perform tasks that require confidentiality, discretion and good judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you will work under general direction of the teaching staff to assist in planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment working with students one on one, in small groups or supervising larger groups of students. In addition, you will also assist in the application of specialised education programs such as Direct Instruction, occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs, while providing support to the teacher or therapist to understand when there is communication difficulty between them and a student.
To be successful in this role, applicants will apply techniques, skills and knowledge relevant to the principles and practices acquired through previous experience to assist students with a range of disabilities including physical and intellectual disabilities, Diabetes, Autism as well as severe mental conditions. Applicants will preferably have special needs qualifications while possessing a high level of communication and interpersonal skills as well as exceptional teamwork abilities in order to assist within a variety of classes and year levels, provide support to parents, teachers and professionals.
Ellen Stirling PS is a large Independent North Metropolitan Primary School, catering for approximately 760 students from Kindergarten to Year 6 and has over 70 staff members. Ellen Stirling PS families are from various multi-cultural backgrounds. The workplace is vibrant and filled with passionate people and an evolving culture of continuous review and improvement. The School’s Moral Purpose is to promote a safe, enriched learning and teaching environment, driven by high expectations for success. The current School Business Plan focuses on the delivery of evidence-based Explicit Direct Instruction teaching pedagogy and programs.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Ellen Stirling Primary School can be found by visiting www.ellenstirlingps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Diane Walker, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 6497 4200 or emailing Diane.Walker@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period please contact Dean Jones, Deputy Principal on 0438 479 912.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 16 April 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.