Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE679724
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing ASAP with possible extension
The Department’s Media team is seeking a highly motivated media professional to join us.
In the role of Media and Communications Officer, our ideal candidate will write content showcasing initiatives, innovations and reforms in public education, and have a keen interest in journalism, social media and photography as a means of communication. You will liaise with journalists by responding to their queries about public schools, and identifying and pitching positive news stories about public education. You will provide advice to staff on media management, and be responsible for researching, preparing and editing media statements and digital content. We are looking for someone who is a great team player, both within the Media branch and the wider Department, and who has the confidence to negotiate with Department staff and other stakeholders on media management.
The focus of the Media team is to promote the work of WA public schools, the Department, and WA Government initiatives in public education.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our branch for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Skills and experience in developing and managing strategies for promoting activities in the print and electronic media as well as in various social media platforms.
- Practical experience in initiating, developing, coordinating and managing media enquiries and positive opportunities and taking news-style images.
- Well-developed written communication and editing skills in relation to media releases and other written material.
- Well-developed planning and organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Well-developed verbal and interpersonal communication skills and ability to liaise and negotiate directly with individuals at all levels.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Applications will be assessed against the selection criteria of the position. The business needs of the branch may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further job related information:
Please contact Liz di Giovanni, Manager, Media and Communications, by telephoning (08) 92645348 or emailing Liz.DiGiovanni@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include: [red highlighted areas are optional]
- A statement addressing each of the work related requirements in up to three (3) pages with particular emphasis on numbers 1 and 2 in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 13 April 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED