Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS677921
Do you want to work at the best school in the Kimberley?
Derby District High School (DHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants - Mainstream for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
With the school motto 'Diligence, Courage and Strength', and the Stronger Smarter Philosophy that all students can succeed through high expectations relationships, students work towards high standards of academic and social achievement through participation and engagement in the school's inclusive, safe and stimulating learning environments. Many of the school's staff have been at the school for some time which creates stability for the school's programs and knowledge of the ongoing needs and interests of the students.
As an Education Assistant – Mainstream you will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of planned education programs, including managing small groups of students under the direction of the teacher that will help in the development of young minds and support the general health and wellbeing of students.
The successful applicant will also assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources for use in classes, displays and demonstrations and will assist the teacher with the clean and safe storage of items after classes and activities. Ideally you will have the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, as well as possess good written and oral communication skills to enable the implementation of individual or small group based programs.
Derby DHS is located in Derby which is situated at the southern end of King Sound in the Kimberley region of Western Australian. Derby is 220 km east of Broome by road and is 2463 km north of Perth. It was the first town settled in the Kimberley. Derby is well supported with a range of government infrastructures. Its location near the King Sound and a number of rivers provides for many boating and fishing recreational activities - but not swimming!
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Sound written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students, parents and teaching professionals.
- Sound interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Sound organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective educational programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Derby District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Kellie Randall, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Derby, by telephoning (08) 9193 3003 during school term or mobile 0439 925 654 during school holidays or emailing Kellie.Randall@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two-three (2 -3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 23 April 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.