Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS662499
Mount Tarcoola Primary School is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and energetic Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
The suitable applicants will under teacher direction assist in the implementation and delivery of planned and specialised education programs, including the operation of computer and digital technologies to meet the specific needs of the student. They will have well developed interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher and have knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students.
They will assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources, for use in classes, displays and demonstration, and assist the teacher with clean and safe storage of items after classes and activities. They will assist the teacher with the care and supervision of students in out-of-class activities and on school excursions.
It is highly desirable that applicants have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio.
Mount Tarcoola PS is located in a quiet suburb about 5km from the central business district of Geraldton. The school was established in 1978 to cater for students living in the southern suburbs of Geraldton and the Greenough hinterland. A feature of the school is its attractive grounds and quiet location.
Mount Tarcoola PS has a reputation as being a warm, friendly, welcoming school where manners, behaviour and dress standards are regarded as important. Each year the school receives numerous applications for enrolments from families living outside the school's catchment area. These students are accommodated when class numbers allow.
The school has a proactive Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) team that implements strategies to improve social, emotional, behavioural and academic outcomes for students. A major focus of the school has been improving literacy levels and promoting cultural awareness, harmony and participation of the various cultural groups in the school.
The school actively promotes and encourages parent participation and involvement in the life of the School. The Parents and Citizens' Association provides outstanding support and a highly active Pre-School Committee works closely with the early childhood classes at the school. Many parents and extended family members join the school on numerous occasions throughout the year such as school assemblies, Open Day and the End of Year Awards Presentation.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Mount Tarcoola Primary School can be found by visiting mttarcoola.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Stephanie English, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Geraldton, by telephoning (08) 9968 1101 or emailing Stephanie.English@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday 5 March, 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.