Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS672644
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2021
Merredin College is seeking enthusiastic and reliable individual to join the school community in the role of Education Assistant – Special Needs.
The successful applicant will work directly with students with additional learning needs towards individual learning goals within our school wide curriculum direction. They will work under the management of the Deputy Principal or The School of Educational Needs Coordinator but will be expected to perform under limited direct supervision and in collaboration with teaching staff.
They will be able to apply previous qualifications, training and knowledge of relevant practices and principles in education to deliver quality programs to students. Should previous experience be less relevant they should show capacity to put professional learning into practice.
The successful applicant will ideally have experience across a range of literacy and numeracy approaches, combined with a flexible and friendly approach and good interpersonal skills.
Located approximately 256 kilometres east of Perth in the Central Wheatbelt, Merredin College is a lighthouse rural school providing a high quality, seamless educational program for approximately 600 students from Kindergarten to Year 12.
Our rigorous yet supportive teaching programs encourage students to become independent learners. This begins in Kindergarten and is developed through to Year 12. Literacy and Numeracy are priorities with programs in place to support the needs of all students. ICT is embedded to ensure students learn in a contemporary environment and leave our school with the skills required to function well in the 21st Century.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancies. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Sound oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with students, parents and teaching professionals.
- Sound interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Sound organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective educational programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Merredin College can be found by visiting merredincollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Janelle Lane, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Merredin, by telephoning (08) 9041 0900 or emailing Janelle.Lane@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A one to two (1-2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively
working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 2 March 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.