Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS672666
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Merredin College is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to join their team in the role of Gardener - Handyperson.
The successful applicant will have a passion for the outdoors and have the capacity to work unsupervised. The ability to recognise work needing to be completed without specific instruction is highly desirable, as is a working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting the school’s grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of our staff, students and school community in a safe, clean and tidy condition.
We are seeking applicants with effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders. To be successful in the role of Gardener – Handyperson, you will ideally be confident in performing minor repairs, have sound knowledge of safe work practices and the ability to create and maintain sustainable gardens and play areas.
Located 256 kilometres east of Perth in the Central Wheatbelt, Merredin College is a lighthouse rural school providing a high quality, seamless educational program for approximately 600 students from Kindergarten to Year 12.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- good communication and interpersonal skills.
- experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Merredin College please visit http://merredincollege.wa.edu.au/ or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Janelle Lane, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Merredin, by telephoning 9041 7520 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that housing is not provided with this position.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A one to two (1-2) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
- A comprehensive CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete the Department’s online training in manual tasks and hazardous substances within three months of commencement
- Complete Fundamentals of Cleaning training as soon as practicable
- Complete any other training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 2 March 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.