Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS673503
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, part-time (0.2FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2021
Are you a passionate, committed and caring Education Assistant who is looking for a rewarding change?
Darkan Primary School is seeking to appoint an Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their friendly school support team.
At Darkan PS, our vision is to cultivate every child's skills and abilities to persevere as lifelong learners and to become valued members of any community.
As an Education Assistant (Special Needs) at our school, you will assist the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. This includes the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implementation of individual student or small group programs or demonstrations.
To be successful in this role, you will be required to work under general supervision and guidance performing tasks that require limited discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. In addition, Education Assistant (Special Needs) will have the ability to apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning or relevant qualification.
Darkan Primary School has been providing quality education to the children of our community since 1908. We were proud to be recognised as an Independent Public School in 2014, and we take pride in our unique ability to cater for their specific learning needs and to follow their learning journey, not just through primary school, but into high school and university.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Darkan Primary School can be found by visiting www.darkanps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or by downloading the relevant attachment below.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Leigh Studsor, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Darkan, by telephoning (08) 9736 1299 or emailing Leigh.Studsor@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 5 March 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.