Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA667160
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2021
Como Secondary College is seeking an educational leader with the skills, knowledge and drive to develop and maintain an outstanding Health and Physical Education department and oversee the Golf and Hockey specialist programs.
The successful applicant will ideally have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain the enthusiasm and commitment of the teachers in their charge. You will be expected to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the learning area by continuing to develop a calm, productive atmosphere and a culture where everyone contributes to the team. Professional discussion and debate will be fostered and encouraged in a safe and respectful way. You will role model exemplary practice and support their teachers in all aspects of their work including behaviour management, assessment, parent contact and planning.
As the Head of Learning Area (HOLA), you will have the skills to translate the strategies and priorities outlined in the school’s business plan into a learning area operational plan that provides clear direction for their staff. You will support staff in their development both individually and as a team, but also hold them accountable, not just for their day to day work, but also for implementation of the plan and achievement of the learning area’s goals. A key requirement of the position will be the ability to understand the wider school context and constructively work with other heads of learning area and the administration team to achieve broader school objectives.
The successful applicant will ensure that there is a consistently high level of pedagogical practise across all of the teachers. To this end you will have a very good understanding of the principles of effective instruction and evidence-based teaching practice. You will set high standards for teachers and through them, all students of Health and Physical Education.
The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge and the Year 7 to 12 curriculum including assessment and reporting practices. The HOLA is required to have a high level of data analysis skills to monitor the progress of students and classes. Experience in managing or delivering high level specialist sporting programs would be highly desirable.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Como Secondary College can be found by visiting www.como.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Digby Mercer, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9365 2000 or emailing Digby.Mercer@education.wa.edu.au.
During the vacation period please contact Digby Mercer, Principal, on 0407 446 671.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to eight (8) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 15 February 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED