Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS665351
This is a permanent part-time 0.4 FTE position commencing Term 2, 2021
Rockingham Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to join their team in the role of a Senior Gardener - Handyperson.
The successful applicant will have a passion for the outdoors and have the capacity to work unsupervised. The ability to recognise work needing to be completed without specific instruction is highly desirable, as is a working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting the school’s grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of our staff, students and school community in a safe, clean and tidy condition. We are seeking applicants with effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders concerning school grounds maintenance. To be successful in the role of Gardener – Handyperson, you will ideally be confident in performing minor repairs and have sound knowledge of our safe work practices in order to carry out your duties.
Rockingham SHS provides excellent academic programs in an exemplary caring environment, for secondary students.
The school's vision for teaching and learning is to ensure that our students are provided with every opportunity to learn and grow in a positive and united school culture, while contributing and adding value to the broader school community.
Our school nurtures the 'whole child' to attain their personal best so that they achieve the school mission to 'develop the understandings, skills and attitudes relevant to their individual needs, thereby fulfilling their potential and contributing to the development of our society'.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Rockingham Senior High School please visit https://www.rockingham.wa.edu.au/ or Schools Online or download the relevant attachment below.
For further job related information
Please contact Linda Phillips, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 9527 0300 or 0478 409 483 or emailing Linda.Phillips3@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager
- A cover letter of no more than one (2) pages. Please address selection criteria two (2) and five (5) by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application,
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete the Department’s online training in manual tasks and hazardous substances within three months of commencement
- Complete Fundamentals of Cleaning training as soon as practicable
- Complete any other training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday 28 January 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.