Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS664779
This is a twelve 12 month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Newman Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their school.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. The successful applicant will assist the teacher in the delivery of specific Individual Education Programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies. Experience in working with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, mental health and behavioural issues would be highly desirable.
Also when required, the Education Assistant – Special Needs will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participates in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education. It is highly desirable that applicants possess or are actively working towards a Certificate III in Education Support.
The successful applicant will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. They will need to be organised and able to use their initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and wellbeing of students and maintenance of the learning environment.
Newman PS is a vibrant learning community that is located in the Pilbara town of Newman. Our school provides endless opportunities for its students to experience variety and success.
Through the diversity of our programs, the enthusiasm of our staff and the support of our wider community we strive to fulfil the goals outlined in our strategic plan in order to deliver quality learning outcomes for students. We are an Independent Public School, enabling localised planning and decision making to improve the outcomes for all students. Students and staff are expected to work together to achieve personal excellence in all they do.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newman Primary School can be found by visiting www.newmanps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Nadine Pulbrook, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Newman, by telephoning (08) 9154 3900 or emailing Nadine.Pulbrook@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 20 January 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.