Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS662166
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2021
Cooloongup Primary School (PS) is seeking a highly motivated, proactive Gardener — Handyperson to join our friendly team.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in a clean and tidy condition. The Gardener - Handyperson will work to provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe, vibrant and clean school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handypersons duties using safe work practices and in accordance with the Department's policies and guidelines.
Good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work unsupervised but also as part of a team are a necessary requirement. The successful applicant will ideally also have an excellent working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation. The successful applicant will have a passion for gardening and understand the needs of an active school community.
Cooloongup PS is located away from main roads in a quiet area in the City of Rockingham. Our unique location and grounds provide outdoor play spaces which are safe and inclusive whilst encouraging student exploration in both structure and free play based learning activities. Students participate in a wide range of sporting activities, both in school and Inter-school competitions, each term. Our staff are friendly, cooperative and supportive.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Cooloongup Primary School please visit www.cooloongupps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Wendy Taylor, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9591 6900 or emailing Wendy.Taylor3@education.wa.edu.au.
During the vacation period please contact Gail Sampson, Principal, on 0439 694 782.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- In no more than one (1) page, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 25 January 2021.
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED