Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH666003
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Are you committed to motivating and educating young minds?
Aveley Secondary College (SC) is seeking a dedicated and innovative Home Economics Teacher for a permanent teaching position commencing in Term 1, 2021 to join their technologies team.
The successful applicant will be highly effective in engaging and motivating students and creating an effective learning environment. You need to be committed to our vision and the schools strategic plan. The school has a robust performance and development culture based on our Professional Learning Communities. There is strong opportunity for professional growth.
The successful applicant will ideally have the following attributes:
- interpersonal skills and capacity to work collaboratively as part of a team;
- capacity to build good relationships with all students;
- commitment to our signature pedagogy of Explicit Direct Instruction (EDI);
- capacity to plan curriculum including scope, sequencing and lesson design collaboratively;
- knowledge of Home Economics curriculum including developing senior school courses;
- strong teaching and classroom management skills including Classroom Management Strategies;
- data analysis skills and evidence based planning to improve literacy and numeracy results for all students;
- innovative use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in the classroom;
- engage in reflective practice, informed by classroom observations, student feedback surveys and close examination of student performance data; and
- commitment to our extra curricula Academy program and Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) initiatives.
About Our School
Aveley SC opened in 2018 with a Year 7 cohort and has a current enrolment of over 800 students. It will continue with an additional cohort each year until 2023 when it will have the full range from Years 7 to 12. The College is committed to an ethic of excellence. There is a strong progressive and future focused approach in meeting student needs. Our aim is to prepare students with the 21st century skills of teamwork, collaboration, and creative problem solving. The College has an emphasis on engaging curriculum that has high levels of integrated technology embedded in lessons, opportunities for STEM and the Arts. The College utilises current research into teaching and learning and school improvement, which has led to the implementation of Explicit Direct Instruction as the College’s signature pedagogy and approach to curriculum planning. Although this is a mandated whole school approach, there is support and professional development for staff to build proficiency in utilising EDI for planning and lesson delivery. Aveley SC has a positive behaviour framework that is built on the premise that we develop the whole child: academic skills, social and emotional intelligence, as well as students who are engaged with the local community and with the contemporary world with a strong sense of global citizenship.
Aveley SC has a diverse offering of Academy courses for students that operate as extra curricula options. The College has state-of-the-art facilities including spacious general classrooms, dedicated Science labs, Cooking and Textiles rooms including a commercial kitchen, Sports Hall, playing courts and oval. It includes a dedicated Education Support Hub with specialist facilities and staff for students with high needs. The Stage 2 building program will be ready for the commencement of the 2021 school year and will include outstanding Visual and Performing Arts facilities.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Aveley Secondary College can be found by visiting www.aveleysc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications.
For further job related information
Please contact Bev Day, Associate Principal, by telephoning 0402 636 271 or emailing Beverley.Day@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- be eligible for, or registered with the Teacher Registration Board (TRB). Information regarding eligibility may be obtained by contacting TRB on (08) 9230 0600 or for Country callers 1300 652 911 or trb.wa.gov.au.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 18 January 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.