Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS658009
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Yangebup Primary School (PS) is seeking an energetic and proactive Education Assistant – Special Needs to join our friendly and supportive team.
It will be looked on favourably if applicants have demonstrated a proven track record of integrating very high needs students into mainstream schools, with experience in managing challenging behaviours. They will know about Ziggurat as a model of support for students with autism and be skilled in the use of visual supports and individual reward systems. It is highly desirable the successful applicant will have experience in working with and be able to maintain strong relationships with the student’s family and specialist support staff such as SSEN-B.
The school is dedicated to providing a positive educational experience supporting the academic, social, emotional and behavioural needs of the students. Early intervention, specialised literacy and numeracy programs in the early childhood area provide the students with a solid foundation and start needed for learning. Yangebup PS provides a safe and supportive environment dedicated to giving children endless opportunities to learn, create and become responsible citizens and lifelong learners. The Habits of Mind based THINKER program is a whole school approach to learning, teaching students necessary skills to become creative, skilful problem solvers and effective, successful learners.
Yangebup PS has a very strong sense of community, where relationships between staff, parents and community are based, mutually, on respect, trust, confidence, empathy and co-operation. The school is strengthened by its strong collegial atmosphere where all staff are experienced and competent practitioners who provide education support and pastoral care for students. Our school motto, 'Pride and Achievement' is reflected in all aspects of the school day.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Yangebup Primary School can be found by visiting www.yangebupps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information
Please contact Richard Barr, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9395 3200 or emailing Richard.Barr@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 30 November 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.