Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE657767
This is a permanent full-time position commencing ASAP
Broome Residential College is seeking an experienced Boarding Supervisor – Male to join their friendly and professional team.
This job opportunity is unique if you are a caring, dedicated and enthusiastic person who has a genuine desire to assist young people complete their education while living away from home and family.
For these positions, the person's gender is a genuine occupational qualification (Equal Opportunity Act 1984). Only applicants in the pool possessing the required qualification will be considered for appointments in these circumstances.
Broome Residential College is an established boarding facility providing accommodation for secondary students from Years 7 to 12 who wish to study in Broome.
Situated in the beautiful regional centre of Broome, 2350 km north of Perth, the College caters to students attending both Broome Senior High School and St Mary’s College. Located at the corner of Kerr and Matsumoto streets in Broome, the College was designed in collaboration with local Traditional Owners to blend with the natural environment, provide a state-of-the-art facility, and maintain environmental sustainability.
We have more than 100 students living at the College. They mostly come from communities and stations in the Kimberley, but also from other regions of Australia. Ninetyfive per cent of students are Aboriginal and have a strong connection to Country and their communities. While at the College, they maintain a strong relationship with their families and friends back home - calling, emailing and visiting at weekends and holidays.
Although students come from all over the Kimberley region, they are very close to the other boarding students at the College. They care and support each other, tolerate and respect each other's difference, and encourage one another to strive for excellence at school and their personal interests.
The College has a team 23 members of staff, led by College Manager Kristine Van.
Caring for our students are 11 supervisors (a mix of male, female and Aboriginal boarding supervisors) many who live on site. They are professional and experienced in supporting young people in a boarding environment. One supervisor is responsible solely for medical, dental and specialist appointments for our students.
To assist the College Manager with administration, there are two staff members to organise all Abstudy travel, enrolments and all other areas of administration and finance including fee enquiries.
We also have nine ancillary staff that help with the running of the facility. These include kitchen, laundry, cleaning and gardening positions.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our branch for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Sound written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students, parents and teaching staff with a particular focus on multicultural or Aboriginal experience.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively work independently or as part of a team.
- Skills and understandings appropriate to the supervision and care of young people in a residential setting.
- Organisational skills with the ability to plan, organise, implement and record activities.
- Ability to manage risk through assessment and procedure as well as meeting Occupational Safety and Health requirements in a residential setting.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Applications will be assessed against the selection criteria of the position. The business needs of the branch may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further job related information:
Please contact Nickki Chambers, Admin and Finance Officer by telephoning (08) 9194 7550 or emailing Nicole.Chambers@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement up to three (3) pages addressing the selection criteria in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one must your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- within six months of commencement of employment to obtain and maintain a current:
- First Aid Certificate – Provide CPR (HLTAID001);
- First Aid Certificate – Provide First Aid (HLTAID003);
- LR Class Driver’s Licence with F endorsement;
- Aquatic Rescue for Group lll Pool Award*;
- Surf Rescue Certificate*; and
- within twelve months of commencement of employment obtain a Certificate IV in Community Services – Student Residential Care (CHC42015).
* Dependent on operational requirements as determined by College Manager.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement of employment;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Department policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision Making within six months of commencement of employment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 November 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED