Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS656177
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021 with possible extension (12 months) and/or permanency
Do you want to make a positive difference to the life of a student?
Broome Senior High School (SHS) are looking for an experienced Education Assistant – Auslan, committed to achieving the best educational outcomes for our student. You will work as part of a dedicated team and have the opportunity to make a lasting contribution to the student and our school community.
The successful applicant will perform Auslan interpreting and teacher directed tutoring according to the needs of a profoundly Deaf student with additional needs (Downs Syndrome). You will also provide support to the classroom, school and community to ensure high quality learning programs are provided in an inclusive learning environment.
The successful applicant will first and foremost be passionate about their results and have a friendly 'team player' approach with a positive, proactive attitude. A proven track record of achieving good results with Deaf students. To be successful in this role the successful applicant will have excellent communication skills which enable you to develop positive, friendly, productive relationships with students, parents and colleagues.
To be successful in this role you will have well developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills which enable you to develop positive, friendly, productive relationships with students, parents and colleagues. Excellent organisation skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program are also highly regarded.
Broome SHS has over 850 students and is located in one of WA's premier tourist locations. In 2012, Broome Senior High School was awarded the accolade of WA's Secondary School of the Year. In 2013, Broome Senior High School was granted Independent Public School (IPS) status and is a part of the Broome Cluster of Independent Public Schools with a string of achievements including 2014 YOH Fest winners, 2014 Rotary Pride Workmanship Award recipients and 2013 Registrar of the Year. The school's academic results over the past five years have been outstanding, with the school now firmly entrenched as one of the top 10 state schools in WA.
The success of our school is the result of the concerted efforts and unrelenting focus on student outcomes. Broome Senior High School offers a full range of academic subjects for students in all years, along with a variety of programs aimed to develop and/or engage the academic, social, creative, leadership and sporting talents of our students. This includes the establishment of an academic extension program for students entering into high school from primary school. We currently retain close to 90 per cent of students from our cluster of primary schools.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Well developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- Well developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Broome Senior High School can be found by visiting www.broomeshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Sandi Passmore, Deputy Principal for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Broome, by telephoning 9195 3100 or 0438 943 996 or emailing Sandi.Passmore@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 1 December 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.