Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS658468
Are you an energetic, understanding, resourceful person?
Cooloongup Primary School (PS) are seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
Suitable applicants for this role will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. We are seeking Educational Assistants with the ability to encourage students in a supportive and inclusive learning environment. Suitable applicants will have a professional, organised approach and be able to use their initiative to support student learning throughout the school.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. Suitable applicants applicant will assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. Also, when required, the Education Assistant – Special Needs will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Cooloongup PS is located in a bushland area away from the main roads in the City of Rockingham. Staff have developed a strong emphasis on pastoral care and the use of the social skills program 'Tribes' undertaking professional learning to apply this philosophy as well as instructional tactics and co-operative learning strategies. Employees work in a collaborative environment where teachers and support staff are organised into decision-making teams (reflective of the Phases of Learning). These teams actively participate in developing and implementing programs throughout the school. There is an emphasis on student-centred learning and the implementation of teaching and organisational strategies that encourage developmental learning.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Cooloongup Primary School can be found by visiting www.cooloongupps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Gail Sampson, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9591 6900 or emailing Gail.B.Sampson@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 30 November 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.