Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA656498
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Are you committed to achieving excellence?
Aveley Secondary College (SC) is seeking a highly committed leader who will provide leadership across the school by promoting the school vision and moral purpose “success for every student, every day”. Establishing the conditions for learning is a central priority of the school’s strategic plan.
This role focuses on student wellbeing through developing strategies for student engagement, attendance, positive mental health and coordinating and/or delivering preventative programs addressing identified areas of concern. A deep understanding of the role of student services would be highly desirable in order to collaborate with the executive team to set strategic directions. The ability to understand the wider school context and constructively work with other heads of learning area and the administration team to achieve broader school objectives would be key to this role.
The successful applicant will ideally have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain the enthusiasm and commitment of the staff members in their team. Knowledge and expertise in tracking individuals and sub groups using a range of software and data is an essential component of the role. They will be expected to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the team by continuing to develop a calm, productive atmosphere and a culture where everyone contributes.
Strengths in Behaviour Management and knowledge of current behaviour support principles and practice are integral to this position. Knowledge and training in WA Positive Behaviour Support (WAPBS), Classroom Management Strategies (CMS), Restorative Practices, Case Management and a detailed understanding of Department policy are highly desirable.
Aveley SC opened in 2018 with a Year 7 cohort and has a current enrolment of over 800 students. It will continue with an additional cohort each year until 2023 when it will have the full range from Years 7 to 12. There is a strong progressive and future focused approach in meeting student needs. Our aim is to prepare students with the 21st century skills of teamwork, collaboration, and creative problem solving.
The College has an emphasis on engaging curriculum that has high levels of integrated technology embedded in lessons, opportunities for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) and the Arts. The College utilises current research which has led to the implementation of Explicit Direct Instruction (EDI) as the College’s signature pedagogy and approach to curriculum planning. Aveley SC has a positive behaviour framework that is built on the premise that we develop the whole child: academic skills, social and emotional intelligence, as well as students who are engaged with the local community and with the contemporary world with a strong sense of global citizenship.
Aveley SC has a diverse offering of Academy courses for students that operate as extra curricula options. The College has state-of-the-art facilities including spacious general classrooms, dedicated Science labs, Cooking and Textiles rooms including a commercial kitchen, Sports Hall, playing courts and oval. It includes a dedicated Education Support Hub with specialist facilities and staff for students with high needs. The Stage 2 building program will be ready for the commencement of the 2021 school year and will include outstanding Visual and Performing Arts facilities.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Aveley Secondary College, including the Business Plan and Strategic Directions can be found by visiting www.aveleysc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Beverley Day, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 6296 1000 or emailing Beverley.Day@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 November 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.