Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS658506
This is a six (6) month fixed term, part-time (0.5FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2021
Carine Senior High School (SHS) are seeking an enthusiastic and engaging Student Support Coordinator to join the Learning Centre Team.
This position will be part time from 8.45am until 12.45pm, Monday to Friday.
Carine SHS represents the very best that government schools have to offer and is a proud independent public school as evidenced by winning the WA Secondary School of the Year in 2017. The school has a very high student retention rate, an experienced staff and an active School Council, made up of students, parents, staff and community members. The school has achieved an enviable reputation for strong academic achievement and pastoral care.
The Student Support Coordinator role will aim to increase the effectiveness of the current Learning Centre Programs by further supporting our students with diagnosed conditions. The primary component of this role will be to work with students with diagnosed mental health conditions to provide them with strategies to use in the school environment in order to improve attendance, increase time spent productively in class, gain social and resilience skills to more effectively deal with issues that may arise during the school day and support the recommendations from external agencies that students may be accessing out of school. A further aspect of this role will be to deliver programs such as social skill attainment for ASD and ADHD students. There will be encouragement and opportunity for the successful applicant to use their initiative and school data to work with the Learning Centre Manager to create other opportunities that would improve the outcomes for students.
The successful applicant will have qualifications in Social or Behavioural Science as a requirement. The traits of excellent time management, ability to work both individually and collaboratively and a willingness to explore new ideas to assist students is strongly desired.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Well-developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills that demonstrate an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, negotiate and resolve conflict.
- Well developed organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks to meet deadlines and work autonomously and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Well developed research, conceptual and analytical skills and experience in identifying problems and developing appropriate intervention strategies and support programs.
- Skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students who are experiencing difficulties.
- Knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations and services
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Carine Senior High School can be found by visiting www.carineshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Tracy Griffiths, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 9243 9100 or emailing Tracy.Griffiths@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three to four (3-4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Possess a Tertiary qualification in the Social or Behavioural Science area
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 2 December, 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.