Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/DP657583
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021 with possible extension and/or permanency
Looma Remote Community School (RCS) is seeking a Deputy Principal to join their team.
The successful applicant will play a significant curriculum leadership role across the school, as well as the key portfolios of behaviour management and enrolments. An understanding of explicit instruction principles is an advantage. To be successful in this role you will have excellent interpersonal skills, organisational skills and resilience.
Looma RCS has been at the forefront of Aboriginal Education for many years. As a recent winner of the Excellence in Aboriginal Education Award the school continues to innovate its practice so as to improve the learning outcomes of Aboriginal students.
Looma RCS is a part of the Kimberley Schools Project which is based on scientific research of effective instruction. As part of the project the admin team provide an environment that balances academic rigor with strong cultural connections. With over 90% of our student population and 50% of staff being of indigenous heritage an understanding of the educational and social challenges of a remote setting would be an advantage.
The school is located in the Kimberley region of Western Australia approximately 130 km south east of Derby, some 30 km (dirt road) south of the main Derby to Fitzroy Crossing Highway. The school services the Looma Aboriginal Community (390-410 people) and the town of Camballin (30-40 people) approximately fifteen minutes from the school. Looma Community is built at the base of the picturesque Grant Range and the school enjoys magnificent vistas of the surrounding hills and rock formations that give Looma its name.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Looma RCS can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Annette Laird, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Looma by telephoning ((08) 9191 4765 or emailing Principal.Looma.RCS@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch;
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- hold a recognised teaching qualification and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 2 December 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.