Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS658218
This is a permanent part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2021
Hannans Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their support team.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs the successful applicant will be required to assist in the delivery of planned education programs and the implementation of specialised, individual education programs. In this role th successful applicant will apply techniques, skills and knowledge relevant to the principles and practices acquired through previous experience that will help assist students with a range of disabilities including Physical Disability, Intellectual Disability, Diabetes, Autism and Severe Mental Conditions. Applicants will preferably have Certificate in Special Needs while possessing excellent levels of literacy, numeracy. Applicants will also need to possess exceptional teamwork, communication and interpersonal skills to provide support to parents, teachers and professionals.
At Hannans PS our purpose is to provide a learning environment that will enable each individual to develop and appreciate the academic, creative, physical and social skills necessary to become a worthy member of a changing society. Hannans PS was established in 1992 to cater for the demand of an expanding Kalgoorlie-Boulder community. Throughout the past 25 years the school has built a strong and proud school community who are actively involved in the education of all students. Our school has a diverse student population of over 400 from 21 nationalities including 7% of Aboriginal students. We have a strong emphasis on creating a culture of shared responsibility, caring for children and families and promoting positive mental health and well-being through our strong commitment to improving academic and social outcomes for all students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Hannans Primary School can be found by visiting www.hannansps.wa.edu.au.viper860.anchor.net.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Denise Delfs, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kalgoorlie, by telephoning (08) 9068 5300 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 30 November 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.