Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS658201
This is a permanent part-time (0.2FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2021
Do you want to make a positive difference?
Ngalapita Remote Community School (RCS) is seeking to appoint a hardworking and motivated Special Needs Education assistant to join our friendly and supportive team.
The successful applicant will ideally have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. To be successful for this role you will be organised and will be able to use your initiative to assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment. These skills will also be utilised to aid teachers by assisting with the general care and well-being of students. You will ideally possess the knowledge and experience of working with students with a range of disabilities and learning difficulties and the ability to support student growth, both academically and socially, within the classroom and playground settings.
Ngalapita RCS opened December 1, 2003 in the community of Koorabye. The name for the school comes from a nearby billabong which is central to the lives of the Aboriginal people, who, apart from the teachers, make up this community.
At Ngalapita RCS we promote a culture that contributes to and supports learning. We foster academic, social and emotional achievement with respectful relationships to ensure a positive, inclusive and supportive environment. We value high quality teaching, learning and professional learning to foster teacher development, student achievement and a school that operates efficiently. We believe students, staff, parents, guardians and community are genuine partners in education who share in the teaching, learning and decision making of the school environment.
Please note there is no GROH (Government Regional Officers Housing) associated with this position at Ngalapita Remote Community School.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Ngalapita Remote Community School can be found by visiting Schools Online
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Donna Cahill, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Ngalapita, by telephoning (08) 9192 0854 or emailing Donna.Cahill@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 25 November 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.