Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/TCH658384
South East Metropolitan Language Development Centre (LDC) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2021.
Suitable Applicants will be highly collaborative with sound initiative and the capacity to work independently when required. Flexibility to work in a multi sited campus with students with good communication needs including behaviour modification is essential. Suitable Applicants will provide safe and language rich environments for students which promote the development of sound oral language skills.
Experience & knowledge in the area of specific speech & language impairment and its impact on student learning and social emotional wellbeing is highly regarded. Knowledge & experience in supporting teachers to administer specific school based and standardised oral language assessments is also desirable. The capacity to work with teachers and speech pathologists to make appropriate learning adjustments to support individual language plans is highly desirable.
Suitable Applicants will take part in professional learning with teachers in the area of Developmental Language Disorder and show the ability to use a range of ICT across the curriculum to meet the learning needs of students with speech & language difficulties. They will be part of a highly collaborative team that developments and delivers quality teaching and learning experiences to students.
South East Metropolitan Language Development Centre offers a specialised program for students with an identified Developmental Language Disorder. In 2015 it became an Independent Public School. The school has cohort of students and the Outreach Service works with other mainstream schools across the state. Enrolment into the program is through a comprehensive selection process which requires full speech and language testing, parent questionnaires and a psychometric evaluation. The criteria for placement are set by the Department of Education, Western Australia and placement is highly competitive. The Language Centre provides a full time early intervention educational placement for children who have a primary language disorder.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of student.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about South East Metropolitan Language Development Centre can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Veronica O'Neil by telephoning (08) 94739600 or emailing Veronica.ONeil@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday 26 November 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.