Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS653815
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2020
Hedland Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to join their team in the role of Gardener - Handyperson.
The successful applicant will have a passion for the outdoors and have the capacity to work unsupervised. The ability to recognise work needing to be completed without specific instruction is highly desirable, as is a working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting the school’s grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of our staff, students and school community in a safe, clean and tidy condition. We are seeking applicants with effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders concerning school grounds maintenance. To be successful in the role of Gardener – Handyperson, you will ideally be confident in performing minor repairs and have sound knowledge of our safe work practices in order to carry out your duties.
Hedland Senior High School, located in South Hedland in the Pilbara, is an Independent Public School catering for students from Years 7 to 12.
At Hedland Senior High School we understand that the education of your child is unique. Our differentiated education programs develop your child's skills and talents, allowing them to achieve success in their own chosen pathway.
Hedland Senior High School wants students to leave school as resilient, confident and respectful young adults. The health and wellbeing team works with students to build life-skills by providing leadership opportunities through the Student Council and developing joint programs with the local community.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Hedland Senior High School, please visit hedlandshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Karen Ballantyne, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in South Hedland, by telephoning (08) 9172 8000 or emailing email@example.com
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please address selection criteria two (2) and four (4) by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application:
Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 02 December 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.