Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS648225
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Victoria Park Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of motivated and dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of term 1, 2022. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up until the end of term 1, 2022.
The Education Assistant – Special Needs will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. Suitable applicants will assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. Also, when required, the Education Assistant – Special Needs will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Victoria Park PS is an Independent Public School and our aim is to provide as many interesting and positive learning situations for our children as possible. We pride ourselves in making a difference for children.
The school is an inner city public school situated near the Swan River in Victoria Park, some five minutes from the city. The school was opened in 1894, making it one of the oldest build by the Department of Education. Due to its historical significance, the buildings at Victoria Park PS have been heritage listed by the Heritage Council.
Victoria Park PS has a multicultural population. Compared to state results, the school has performed strongly in the National Assessment Program in Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN). Almost without exception, our students performed above the state average in all aspects of these learning areas. We follow the future progress of our students with keen interest.
The school has an embedded values program which promotes Respect, Care and Compassion, Self-Motivation, Responsibility, Honest and Teamwork. The school culture at Victoria Park Primary is happy, productive and vibrant. We are very committed to making a difference for the students in our care.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Victoria Park Primary School can be found by visiting www.vicparkps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Pam Pollard, Principal, by telephoning (08) 6216 4900 or emailing Pam.Pollard@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 26 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.