Advertised Vacancy Number: PR648199
Please note, as of 9:05am on 15 October 2020, there has been amendments to the application instructions for this advertisement
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
The role of Principal of Wembley Downs Primary School (PS) is a rewarding one where you will use your strong interpersonal and leadership skills to help achieve the school’s vision and goals.
The successful applicant will model important values and behaviours to the school and community, including a commitment to creating and sustaining effective professional learning communities within the school, and across all levels of the system. In this role you will embrace the ‘Classroom First’ strategy and ensure that literacy and numeracy outcomes for all students are optimised. In addition to this, the Principal will build networks with other agencies, other schools, and services in the community to benefit school programs.
We seek an individual whose attributes encompass:
- understanding of current curriculum requirements;
- embracing the integration of ICT into the curriculum;
- building positive relationships with key stakeholders;
- valuing, developing and mentoring staff;
- optimising the school’s financial, physical and human resources through sound management practices and organisational systems and processes that contribute to the implementation of the school’s vision and goals;
- fostering a safe, purposeful and inclusive learning environment and the capacity to develop constructive and respectful relationships with staff, students, parents and other stakeholders;
- leading, managing and monitoring the school improvement process through a current and critical understanding of the learning process and its implications for enhancing high quality teaching and learning in every classroom in the school; and
- understanding and leading the school community in promoting a vision for the future, underpinned by common purposes and values that will secure the commitment and alignment of stakeholders to realise the potential of all students.
Wembley Downs PS is an Independent Public School within the Churchlands Network of Government Schools. The school is characterised by a feeling of community support and involvement with many parents being actively involved in school activities and the education of their children
The grounds are characterised by a number of large trees providing both shade and a basis for imaginative play. The original 1950s buildings provide an enclosed, secure feeling whilst our newer facilities, including a multi-purpose undercover assembly area, Early Childhood Centres and Library assist in the delivery of modern education programs. A school-wide Wi-Fi network allows students to pursue independent learning activities, utilising the laptop computers and iPads available in all classrooms. The Library complements the Information and Learning Technology program and our purpose built Science/Art and Music rooms provide students with the facilities to enhance great educational outcomes.
The Principal supports the Department’s objectives for the public education and training of students in Western Australia. The role of the Principal is to lead and manage the planning, delivery, evaluation and improvement of the education of all students in a community through the deployment of resources provided by the Department of Education and the school community.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the three leadership requirements and five professional practices particular to the role of a principal identified by the Australian Professional Standard for Principals:
- Effective leadership in teaching and learning
- Developing self and others
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
- Leading the management of the school
- Engaging and working with the community
Applications will be assessed against the selection criteria identified in the Job Description Form (JDF) for the position. The business needs and context of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached JDF.
For additional information about Wembley Downs Primary School please visit www.wembleydownsps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For Further Job Related Information
Please contact David Forster, Coordinator Regional Operations, by phoning (08) 9285 3600 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please do not email applications to this email address)
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the selection criteria, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 8317.
Further information on how to apply is available via the attachments below.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
All appointees to Principal positions longer than 6 months in duration who have not completed 6 months or more in a WA public school principal role prior to January 2015 will be required to satisfactorily complete all Principal Eligibility Modules. The Principal Eligibility Modules which are completed online must be completed within 6 months of commencement in a principal role.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 29 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED