Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS648036
Woodbridge Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2021.
Education Assistant – Special Needs will, under teacher direction assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as literacy, numeracy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. They will assist teachers in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual students or small group programs or demonstrations. They will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Employees at this level may work under limited supervision and may be expected to participate within a team situation, offering advice and expertise relating to their relevant area. Education outcomes are determined by the teacher, or other professional, with the employee performing tasks which require discretion in problem solving, decision making, and choosing methods and processes to achieve outcomes. Performance of these tasks may require activities within or outside the school that result in supervision of students without the presence of a teacher.
The successful applicant will have effective communication skills, combined with the ability to develop strong working relationships with all members of a school community. They will have a strong knowledge and understanding of working with students with special needs and working effectively one on one with students, with demonstrated practical experience working with students in a range of educational settings. It is desirable for suitable applicants to be able to use initiative to complete tasks as well as follow instructions as necessary.
Woodbridge PS is an Independent Public School that serves the communities of Woodbridge, Viveash, Midland and Hazelmere. Woodbridge PS is driven by its ethos of 'aspiring to be the most caring and encouraging community school’. As such, pastoral care is the cornerstone of our school with a focus on staff nurturing positive self-esteem and providing an inclusive, supportive environment in which students are encouraged to give their best and care for, and respect, themselves and others.
The parent/school partnership is recognised and valued in all aspects of school life. Woodbridge PS is dedicated to meeting the aspirations of children and parents by maximising opportunities through whole-school initiatives in numeracy, literacy and the arts
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Woodbridge Primary School can be found by visiting www.woodbridgeps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Debbie Hyde, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9267 9900 or emailing Debbie.Hyde@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 23 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.