Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS649846
As of 20 October 2020 at 8:30AM, an amendment was made to the application instructions
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, part-time (0.9FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2021 with possible extension (12 months)
Bruce Rock District High School (DHS) are seeking to appoint an Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their dedicated team.
An Education Assistant’s - Special Needs primary role is to assist teachers with the preparation of resources and programs in order to meet the learning needs of students with disabilities. Being able to encourage these students to reach their Individual Education Plan goals will also form part of this role. An Education Assistant - Special Needs should be able to provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs as well as participating in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of a student’s individual goals in special education. In addition, they are also required to have an ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Bruce Rock DHS is 240 km from Perth and caters for 150 children from Kindergarten to Year 10. In 2012 we received an 'Excellence in Public Education Award' as a result of an exemplary practice review of our school, we are very proud of this achievement and are focused on maintaining excellence. Our specialised team of early childhood staff provide high quality and engaging classes for the children's first introduction to education.
Highly skilled staff provide a quality curriculum through middle and upper primary. Specialist teachers in high school deliver a diverse curriculum enabling students to successfully proceed to tertiary bound secondary studies, TAFE or vocational training. Whilst the school maintains a strong focus on literacy and numeracy, we achieve a balance between the academic, social and emotional domains to provide wrap around support for all children in our care.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Bruce Rock District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Mandy Butler, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Bruce Rock, by telephoning (08) 9061 1237 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 27 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.