Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS650163
Do you want to provide a helping hand in supporting students with diverse learning needs?
Champion Bay Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
An Education Assistant’s (Special Needs) primary role is to assist teachers with the preparation of resources and programs in order to meet the learning needs of students with disabilities. Being able to encourage these students to reach their Individual Education Plan goals will also form part of this role. An Education Assistant - Special Needs should be able to provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs as well as participating in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of a student’s individual goals in special education. In addition, they are also required to have an ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Suitable applicants should be flexible, team orientated, enthusiastic and excellent communicators with an understanding of behaviour management practices with the capacity to display initiative across a variety of settings. It would be highly desirable for applicants to have prior experience working with students with special needs and possess skills relating to good behaviour management.
In 2019, Champion Bay SHS was officially opened (formerly John Willcock College). Located in the City of Greater Geraldton, this official ceremony represented the culmination of many years of planning to enable the school to become a Year 7 to 12 campus, drawing students from across the Midwest region.
From the 2019 school year, our school expands to cater for students up to Year 12, adding a year level annually until 2022. This expansion will enable students to complete all of their secondary education at our college, an exciting change that is widely embraced by our community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Champion Bay Senior High School can be found by visiting www.championbayshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Danielle Wilton, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Geraldton, by telephoning (08) 9965 8310 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the vacation period please contact Danielle Wilton, Manager Corporate Services, on 0419 950 768.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A minimum two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 15 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.