Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/DP647588
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021 with possible extension and/or permanency
John Forrest Secondary College (SC) is seeking to appoint a strategic and innovative leader to join our executive leadership team in the position of Deputy Principal.
The successful applicant will be highly motivated and energetic. You will be part of an Executive team including the Principal, three Deputy Principals, Manager Student Services and a Manager of Corporate Services. As such, you will need to work collaboratively with the other team members; be fully involved in the team’s decision making processes and fully committed to decisions once made.
We are looking for an applicant with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills who is committed to achieving the best possible educational outcomes for each individual student. Your ability to establish effective working relationships with students, staff, external agencies and members of the community will enable you to calmly and efficiently negotiate solutions to problems as they arise. You will have the ability to lead improvement and change initiatives and this should be supported by the capacity to use data to inform decision making which supports your successful practice.
Each of the three College Deputy Principals lead and take responsibility for two year groups along with identified portfolios and committees. This position currently has responsibility for Senior School (Years 11 and 12) students and programs. You will need to exhibit an in-depth working knowledge of both School Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA) and Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) requirements, Vocational Education Training (VET), analysis of student performance data and reporting using SIRS (Student Information Records System).
Portfolio responsibilities currently include: Online Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (OLNA), National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN), Literacy, Reporting to Parents (RTP), Senior School Transition and Specialist Music. Through the Committee Chairs, you will be responsible for leadership support for both the Student Engagement Committee and the Aspiration and Endeavour Committee. You will also provide executive leadership to the Learning Areas of English, Career and Vocational Education, The Arts (including the Approved Specialist Program in Music) and Languages as well as the Senior School Academic Coordinator.
Applicants should be aware that the responsibilities may change to meet College and individual needs; hence applicants should possess the knowledge and transferable skills that would allow them to lead other areas if needed.
Central to the College vision is a focus on the ‘whole student’; characterised by an ethos of care for all aspects of our students’ growth and development, providing an education that recognises and values diversity while giving all students the opportunity to succeed. Our core values – Integrity, Respect and Courtesy, Aspiration and Endeavour underpin all aspects of the College environment and are modelled by staff and promoted throughout the College community.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about John Forrest SC can be found by visiting www.johnforrest.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Melissa Gillett, Principal, by telephoning 0422 121 367 or emailing Melissa.Gillett@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement of up to three (3) pages addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch.
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 12 October 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.