Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS649157
Shenton College of the Deaf are seeking to establish a pool of AUSLAN Education Assistants, for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
As the suitable applicant, you will be motivated, committed and have a friendly “team player” approach with a positive, can – do attitude. A proven track record of achieving good results with your students should be a key attribute. Key to this role is excellent communication skills which will enable you to develop positive, friendly, productive relationships with students, parents and colleagues.
As the AUSLAN Education Assistant you will perform sign language, interpreting and teacher directed tutoring, according to the needs of a partially verbal student with profound hearing loss and Cochlear Implants. You will also provide support to the classroom, school and community to ensure high quality learning programs are provided in an inclusive learning environment.
Shenton College Deaf Education Centre is a specialist facility, in partnership with Shenton College, for deaf and hard of hearing students. All of the Deaf Education Centre facilities are embedded into Shenton College to construct an inclusive learning environment. Shenton College itself is a secondary school divided into three parts, the Middle School, Lower Upper School and the Upper Senior School. Shenton College is located in Shenton Park, on the railway line and only 10 minutes from central Perth by train. Currently, the Deaf Education Centre has 38 enrolments from Years 7 to 12. The students are able to select subjects and courses from those offered by Shenton College. Alternatively, the Deaf Education Centre will offer programs that are tailored to the students' educational and vocational directions.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Well-developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- Well-developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Shenton College Deaf Education Centre can be found by visiting dec.shenton.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information
Please contact Christine Dullard, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0438 773 922 or emailing Christine.Dullard@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-tostudent ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 27 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.