Advertised Vacancy Number: PR646417
This is a fifteen (15) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Newton Moore Education Support Centre (NMESC) is an Independent Public School that embraces a school wide Positive Behaviour Support Framework to enhance the education, social and vocational potential of students with disabilities. They provide a caring, supportive and specialised learning environment. Their unapologetic, relentless commitment to exemplary education practices was formally recognised by the Department of Education in February 2018 with the school receiving Excellence in Education recognition.
An opportunity currently exists for a professional and quality leader to continue the school’s vision to provide an exceptional school environment for students with disabilities to achieve their full potential.
The successful applicant will impact the progress and achievement of students by using their educational expertise and management skills to focus on improving the quality of teaching and learning. They will enable teachers to practice in a culture of professional learning and growth, where they work with others to develop and share expertise. They will have experience as a successful leader with the capability to implement senior school programs for students with disabilities to ensure the innovative and highly successful programs continue and thrive. They will have a high level of interpersonal skills and continue to develop the highly passionate, confident and capable staff.
The successful applicant will be responsible for building new and existing relationships with agencies and other schools and services in the community to benefit school programs. They will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the school’s culture of excellence and will demonstrate a commitment to a focus of continuous improvement.
They will be required to gain an in-depth understanding of the school’s effective change management processes and will be required to continue to build the capacity of staff to respond to the current and future needs of students. They will continue the robust and evidence based school improvement cycle, to ensure ongoing improvement, with a continued focus on outcomes for students.
As an Independent Public School, the successful applicant will ensure a productive and collaborative relationship with the board, ensuring decision making and strategic planning processes are guided by evidence and focused on improved student outcomes.
For the successful applicant, we are offering a unique opportunity which includes;
- A busy and vibrant workplace where really good people work hard and get along well with each other;
- Regular and well-structured team meetings to keep you ‘in the loop’ and give you a voice within a safe environment;
- Ongoing opportunities for you to present and implement approved ideas that improve your work practices, the work environment and student outcomes;
- A learning environment that is centred on providing quality education for students. You are more than a teacher at NMESC – you are a mentor and a life coach.
- A democratic leadership culture that has the right blend of engagement and consultation combined with clarity and consistency around policy and other non-negotiables.
NMESC shares a campus and a strong and productive relationship with the students and staff at Newton Moore Senior High School. There is an established culture of collaboration and inclusion. The schools are located in the City of Bunbury.
The Principal supports the Department’s objectives for the public education and training of students in Western Australia. The role of the Principal is to lead and manage the planning, delivery, evaluation and improvement of the education of all students in a community through the deployment of resources provided by the Department of Education and the school community.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the three leadership requirements and five professional practices particular to the role of a principal identified by the Australian Professional Standard for Principals:
- Effective leadership in teaching and learning
- Developing self and others
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
- Leading the management of the school
- Engaging and working with the community
Applications will be assessed against the selection criteria identified in the Job Description Form (JDF) for the position. The business needs and context of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached JDF.
For additional information about Newton Moore Education Support School please visit Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For Further Job Related Information
Please contact Alison Ramm, Regional Executive Director by phoning 0438 924 649 or emailing Alison.Ramm@education.wa.edu.au
(Please do not email applications to this email address)
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- Up to five (5) page statement addressing the selection criteria, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for minimum two (2), no more than three (3) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 8317.
Further information on how to apply is available via the attachments below.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
All appointees to Principal positions longer than 6 months in duration who have not completed 6 months or more in a WA public school principal role prior to January 2015 will be required to satisfactorily complete all Principal Eligibility Modules. The Principal Eligibility Modules which are completed online must be completed within 6 months of commencement in a principal role.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 21 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED