Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS647089
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2020
South Hedland Primary School (PS) is seeking a highly motivated, proactive Gardener — Handyperson to join our friendly team.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in a clean and tidy condition. The Gardener - Handyperson will work to provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe, vibrant and clean school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handypersons duties using safe work practices and in accordance with the Department's policies and guidelines.
Good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work unsupervised but also as part of a team are a necessary requirement. The successful applicant will ideally also have an excellent working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation. The successful applicant will have a passion for gardening and understand the needs of an active school community.
South Hedland PS currently accommodates 220 children on site, from Kindergarten to Year 6. Our school is regarded by the community as promoting a supportive learning environment and where all staff demonstrate concern and care for children. There is a strong emphasis on pastoral care in our school and we foster strong relationships with our parents and the community to support student learning. Many students come from families where English is a second language and includes families from diverse backgrounds, with 85% of students having an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about South Hedland PS please visit www.southhedlandps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Lee Pereira, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in South Hedland by telephoning (08) 9172 7272 or emailing email@example.com. During the school holidays please phone 0456 567 793.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please provide one example from your past experience that best shows your knowledge, skills and abilities in cleaning a room or surface. Include the:
- steps you took to clean the room or surface
- chemicals used on each material
- machinery used; and
- action taken to maintain your safety and the safety of others.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application,
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 12 October 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.