Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS646675
This is a permanent part-time (0.7FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2020
Wilson Primary School (PS) is seeking a highly dedicated and enthusiastic Gardener – Handyperson to join their team.
The Gardener - Handyperson will perform gardening duties, as well as grounds and facility maintenance to ensure a safe, clean and inviting school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management, and provide a suitable growing environment for plants. The successful applicant will also perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. Ideally, the successful applicant has good communication and interpersonal skills and works well with others.
Wilson PS has a strong ethos of being a warm, caring and friendly community where every child is treated as a valued individual. We cater for children in Kindergarten to Year 6. Our specialised team of early childhood teachers and education assistants provide innovative and engaging classes for the children's first introduction to education.
Our students are taught within facilities including the latest multimedia teaching amenities and a dedicated wet area for arts and crafts. Pre-primary and Kindergarten students have their own outdoor play area and sandpit. Netball courts, cricket nets, a large oval and a challenging climbing frames provide opportunities for our older students. The school is fully air conditioned, providing a pleasant learning environment throughout the year.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Wilson Primary School please visit Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Leah McLeod, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9458 1757 during school hours or 0409889044 during the school holiday period, or alternatively emailing Leah.McLeod@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please address selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria below.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens in schools or parks and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 7 October 2020
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED