Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS647958
Seeking dedicated and passionate education assistants to join our team and support students to reach their full capabilities.
Caversham Valley Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of enthusiastic, innovative and motivated Education Assistants - Special Needs, to join its foundation staff. Appointments will be for permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
All Education Assistants employed at Caversham Valley PS will be Level 2/3 Education Assistant Special Needs. If you are thinking of applying for a position in this pool it is strongly recommended that you read the details below carefully and ensure your application matches the context of the advertised position.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you will assist with the preparation and organisation of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources, and assisting teachers with the clean and safe use of classroom items. Suitable applicants will be responsible for assisting teachers with the supervision of students for all activities and with the general care and wellbeing of students, including attending to minor illnesses and/or injuries.
In this role, you will support the development and implementation of the school’s culture, vision, values and future directions. As a foundation staff member you will implement school-wide practices to meet the needs of students and ensure the creation of an environment that promotes success. You will value the whole child acknowledging that academic, social, emotional and physical pursuits are equally catered for and addressed.
Suitable applicants with the knowledge of effective strategies to support students in early childhood, combined with knowledge and experience with the Early Years Learning Framework (ELYF) and National Quality Standard (NQS) will be highly regarded. You will be able to support programs relevant to students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Intellectual Disability (ID), and/or other Physical Disabilities.
Our school is located 15km from the centre of Perth in the growing suburb of Caversham, near the Swan Valley, surrounded by rapidly developing housing estates with many young families. Our school community includes families of different backgrounds and cultures, many from overseas where English is not always the first language or dialect spoken at home.
This brand new school opened in 2020 for Kindergarten to Year 6 students, with our campus consisting of Administration, four teaching blocks, undercover assembly area, large library, excellent sporting facilities, and well maintained grounds providing a pleasant and inviting environment. Our teaching and learning environments will reflect a positive and innovative approach to maximising learning opportunities for students.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Caversham Valley Primary School can be found by visiting cavershamvalleyps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Danielle Reimer, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9461 2700, or emailing Danielle.Reimer@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Danielle Reimer, on 0436 915 798
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three to four (3-4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 2 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.