Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS646857
This is a permanent, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021.
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Derby District High School (DHS) is seeking to appoint a committed and enthusiastic School Officer.
The successful applicant will possess good verbal and written communication skills, with a thorough understanding of how to apply customer service principles and practices. You will also present good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work unsupervised and in a team environment. Ideally, you will have the ability to use computers and a range of application software packages, particularly databases, spread sheets and word processing. Experience in providing administrative support with the ability to organise and prioritise tasks effectively would also be highly desirable.
The successful applicant will undertake reception duties including greeting visitors, answering the telephone and responding to routine enquiries and requests for information. The School Officer will provide assistance with entering student enrolment data, maintain student attendance records and absenteeism reports. Other duties will include the ability to provide general clerical and administrative support including preparing correspondence, newsletters, notices and other materials. The School Officer will distribute and collect documents, forms and mail, and collect and receipt monies in accordance with Departmental procedures. They will also be responsible for maintaining office equipment including monitoring and ordering office consumables.
Derby DHS is located in Derby which is situated at the southern end of King Sound in the Kimberley region of Western Australian. Derby is 220km east of Broome by road and is 2463km north of Perth. It was the first town settled in the Kimberley. Derby is well supported with a range of government infrastructures. Its location near the King Sound and a number of rivers provides for many boating and fishing recreational activities - but not swimming!
With the school motto 'Diligence, Courage and Strength', and the Stronger Smarter Philosophy that all students can succeed through high expectations relationships and high standards of academic and social achievement through participation and engagement in the school's inclusive, safe and stimulating learning environments. Many of the school's staff have been at the school for some time which creates stability for the school's programs and knowledge of the ongoing needs and interests of the students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience in providing effective administrative support with the ability to organise and prioritise tasks effectively.
- Experience in financial processes and procedures, including the handling of debtors, creditors, reconciliations, and /or preparing financial returns.
- Ability in using computers and a range of application software packages, particularly databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and experience in the application of customer service principles and practices.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work unsupervised and in a team environment.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Derby District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Kellie Randall, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Derby, by telephoning (08) 9193 3003 during the school term or during school break on 0439 925 654 or emailing Kellie.Randall@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two-three (2-3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 21 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.