Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS647849
Kalamunda Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
Suitable applicants will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate with teachers and support staff to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the needs of students. As an Education Assistant – Special needs you will be organised, flexible and be able to use your initiative to assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment. They will also provide feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Kalamunda SHS has an enviable reputation developed over 57 years of providing a quality education to all students. The school is proud of its outstanding achievement in the Gifted and Talented Visual Arts program which is complemented by excellence in academic achievement, languages as a Lead Language School, a specialist program in Outdoor Education and newly established school based Performing Arts program. The school offers a welcoming, positive and supportive environment for all students. There is a strong student services team including a Manager, Heads of Middle and Senior Schools, Chaplain, Nurse, School Psychologist and Year Coordinators.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kalamunda SHS can be found by visiting www.kalamundashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Melissa Shepherd, Associate Principal, by telephoning 0436 949 478 or emailing Melissa.Shepherd@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details two work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 23 October 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.