Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS643992
We are seeking to establish a pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 and 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 and 2021 school year.
Suitable applicants will work in an environment committed to whole school approaches; self-reflection and continuous self-improvement; working in teams to further learning of students and staff; developing relationships with students and their parents; and high expectations for all students. In addition to this, suitable applicants will also be committed to putting students first in their decision-making and undertaking the hard work that is inherent in delivering a motivating and quality educational program.
Suitable applicants will desirably be able to deliver planned education programs and contribute in the evaluation process for special education. It is also highly desirable for suitable applicants to possess good written and oral communication skills and be competent in the use of information technology (IT) which will help assist teachers and therapists when dealing with students.
Joondalup Education Support Centre (ESC) is an Independent Public School providing specialist and individualised educational programs for students from Kindergarten to Year 6 with intellectual disabilities and special educational needs.
Dedicated staff teach a range of quality programs which are specialised, individualised and specifically tailored to each student's individual needs and abilities. Teachers and Education Assistants are highly trained and competent to design, implement and evaluate programs for students with intellectual disability, sensory impairment, physical disabilities, challenging behaviour and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Classrooms have a high ratio of staff to students, and classroom numbers are kept small to ensure that each child is given every opportunity to succeed.
Experience with Team Teach, AAC and similar programs would be desirable as well as a Cert IV in Education Support or similar qualification.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Joondalup ESC can be found by visiting www.joondalupesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Antoinette Vorster, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0406 683 000 or emailing Antoinette.Vorster@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 October 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.