Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS647430
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2020
Illawarra Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a reliable and enthusiastic individual to join their school support team in the role of Gardener – Handyperson.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the maintenance of our school grounds and complete minor repairs and maintenance jobs in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. We are seeking an individual who is hardworking, enthusiastic, energetic, has a passion for gardening and turf management, is able to follow instructions and work collaboratively and independently when needed. Ideally the successful applicant has good communication and interpersonal skills and works well with others and have the ability to identify and recognise work that is required to be completed without specific direction.
Experience in a school or other large grounds as well as working knowledge of gardening machinery and reticulation is also necessary. Our grounds are extensive and require ongoing maintenance. The successful applicant will need to perform tasks and duties using safe work practices and maintain accurate gardening records.
Illawarra PS is an Independent Public School located in the suburb of Ballajura, approximately 17 kilometres north of the Perth CBD. Our location is on a regular public transport route and close to shops and medical centres. A before and after-school care facility for students from Kindergarten to Year 6 is offered on the grounds of Illawarra Primary School and is run by Camp Australia.
The school is located on well-established grounds with excellent facilities including basketball courts, tennis courts, performing arts stage with lighting and sound, and a variety of play equipment engaging children in social play.
Illawarra PS provides an engaging, safe and supportive learning environment in which students will be able to fulfil their potential in all areas - academic, social, physical and creative; and achieve a sense of purpose and self-worth in a changing society.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Illawarra PS can be found by visiting www.illawarraps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Lexi Diamond, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9205 9800 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than two (2) pages, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 3.30pm (WST) on Monday, 5 October 2020.
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED