Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/TCH636447
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2021
Are you ready to put your breadth of education knowledge and communication skills to the test and take on new challenges?
Connect, Learn and Thrive
The School of Special Educational Needs: Medical and Mental Health (SSEN:MMH) is seeking innovative and capable individuals to join their team as Visiting Teacher in the Pilbara region. This position is based in Karratha and supports the south of the Pilbara.
SSEN:MMH provide quality educational services to students whose physical or mental health presents difficulties in accessing their usual educational program. Staff across our school may also facilitate students' entry or return to an educational program that best meets their ongoing needs.
SSEN:MMH is responsive to diverse needs within a holistic framework of family, students' enrolled schools (both government and non-government), community support systems and the health community. Working collaboratively with others and being open to their opinions and perspectives is essential to ensuring we deliver services that meet student need. The Visiting Teacher works within the interdisciplinary team of the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) to support the educational, medical and psychosocial needs of students and serves as a connection between Health and Education.
The main objectives of the role are to
- improve communication and collaboration between Department of Health and schools in the Pilbara.
- enhance access to education and effective educational outcomes for students with mental health issues.
- improve liaison between CAMHS clinicians, schools and regional staff.
The successful applicant will be responsible for providing information to Department of Health clinicians on educational matters as well as providing information and strategies to schools for referred students. The role requires comprehensive curriculum knowledge and pedagogy, tact and diplomacy, effective negotiation skills and empathy.
The Visiting Teacher will be required to travel cross-site to schools, other agencies and hospitals throughout the Pilbara region and it is therefore desirable for applicants to possess a motor vehicle driver’s licence.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about SSEN: MMH can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for recognition of prior service.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Deb deLacy, Associate Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Karratha and the Pilbara Region, by telephoning (08) 6456 0383 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the school holiday period please telephone 0434 074 348.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- be eligible for, or registered with the Teacher Registration Board (TRB). Information regarding eligibility may be obtained by contacting TRB on (08) 9230 0600 or for Country callers 1300 652 911 or trb.wa.gov.au.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 19 October 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.